There is a Remote Job vacancy At Wikimedia Foundation. The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Program Officer, Libraries.
In this role, you will work at the intersection of librarianship and the Wikimedia movement to grow and diversify information sources—in all languages—and invite librarians to contribute their specialized knowledge and skills to Wikimedia projects.
You are responsible for:
- Work with national and regional organizers to reimagine the twice-annual newcomer’s campaign for librarians
- Manage ongoing partnerships with libraries and professional bodies, such as AfLIA, and identify new collaborations to grow library outreach in underrepresented regions.
- Support professional library networks and institutions to adopt open technologies—such as Wikidata, Wikibase Cloud, and OpenRefine—through documentation and training.
- Get involved in the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group, WikiProject LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group, and other Wikimedia and Libraries spaces to network and foster knowledge exchange.
- Analyze, document and share innovations and workflows, in order to inspire librarian and Wikimedia communities.
- Communicate the needs of library institutions and professionals to technical and non-technical teams within the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia movement.
- Understand the relevance of emerging issues and opportunities in librarianship, such as reparative and inclusive cataloging, the impact of AI and machine learning, and the role of media and information literacy in addressing disinformation.
Skills and experience:
- Professional experience working with libraries or archives to meet the information needs of a range of users.
- Expertise in digital librarianship, cataloging and linked open data.
- A track record of promoting skills development and shared practices through documentation and storytelling, conference presentations, and/or workshop facilitation.
- Experience working with a distributed and remote team with people of diverse skill sets and backgrounds.
- Strong written and spoken English. Non-native English speakers are welcomed.
Qualities that are important to us:
- A passion for free and open knowledge, and a willingness to get involved in the complex, decentralized process of creating it.
- Committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive movement.
- Self motivated with a curiosity to learn and experiment.
- Collaborative, flexible, and interested in feedback from people with diverse skills, experiences, and perspectives.