GIMPA – Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration, is a public tertiary institution, established with the mandate to train public servants with administrative and professional competence to plan and administer national, regional and local level services.
The school was first established as The Institute of Public Administration by the government of Ghana with assistance from the United Nations Special Fund Project. It was later handed over to the government of Ghana in 1966 and subsequently registered as a public university by an act of parliament in 2004.
In 1969, the Institute was re-designated as the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration to reflect its expanded functions. Made up of four schools and four short programme centers, GIMPA offers a wide range of courses and academic programmes, at the successful end of which a candidate could be awarded a degree, diploma or other certificates as the case may be.
As earlier said, The Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration is made up of four schools, otherwise known as faculties, and four short programme centers. The academic programmes offered by these faculties and centers include Bachelors Degrees (BA/BSc), Postgraduate Diplomas/Certificates, Masters Degrees (MA/MSc), Doctorate Degrees (Ph.D.), Certificate and short programmes.
Students are given the option of running the programmes on regular, evening or weekend basis as the case may be. Below are the schools/faculties, with the various programmes and courses offered.
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Undergraduate Programmes (Bachelor’s Degrees)
- Human Resource Management
- Operation and Supply Chain Management
- Hospitality And Tourism Management
- Procurement Management
- Project Management
- Certificate in Business Administration (CBA)
- Diploma in Management Studies (DMS)
Master’s Degree Programmes
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- International Executive Master of Business Administration (iEMBA))
- Master of Research in Business Administration (MRes)
Doctorate Degree Programmes (PhD)
- PhD Seminars (Electives)
- Strategic Management Seminar
- Theory Of Logistics
- Risk Theory Seminar
- Business-To-Business Marketing
- Applied Quantitative Methods In Finance
- Performance Assessment
SCHOOL OF PUBLIC SERVICE AND GOVERNANCE
- Bachelor of Public Administration (BPA)
- Certificate in Public Administration. (PG-CPA)
- Diploma in Public Administration. (PG-DPA)
- Certificate in Occupational Safety, Health and Environmental Management (COSHEM)
- Diploma in Occupational Safety, Health, and Environmental Management.
Master’s Degree Programmes
- Master in Public Administration (MPA)
- Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA)
- Executive Master of Governance and Leadership(EMGL)
- Master of Public Management
- Master of Development Management
Doctorate Degree Programme
- Ph.D In Governance and Leadership and Public Administration
FACULTY OF LAW
- LL.B Day Programme
- LL.B Regular Programme
- LL.B Modular Programme
SCHOOL OF TECHNOLOGY
- Certificate in ICT (CICT)
- Certificate in ICT for Project Management (CIPM)
- Certificate in Telecommunications Management
- Certificate in IT Management
- Certificate in Information Systems Requirements Analysis (CIRA)
- Advanced Certificate in Web Technologies with .Net Framework (ACWT)
- Advanced Certificate in Web Programming with .Net Framework (ACWP)
- Advanced Certificate in Database Programming with .Net Framework (ACDP)
- Certificate in Microsoft Server Database Administration (CSDA)
- Certificate in SQL Expertise in Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (CSQL)
Undergraduate Programmes (Bachelor of Science)
- Information and Communication Technology (BSc ICT)
- Computer Science (BSc CS)
- Management Information Systems (BSc MIS)
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Management Information Systems (Pg. Dip. MIS)
- Information Technology Project Management (PG. Dip. ITPM)
- Information Technology and Communication Technology (PD ICT)
Master’s Degree Programmes
- Master of Science in Management Information Systems (MSc MIS)
- Master of Philosophy in Management Information Systems (MPhil MIS)
- Master of Science in Information & Communication Technology (MSc ICT)
- Master of Philosophy in Information & Communication Technology (MPhil ICT)
SHORT PROGRAMME CENTRES AND COURSES
1. Centre for Management Development (CMD)
- International Certificate in Logistics and Transport
- International Professional Diploma in Logistics and Transport
- Advanced Diploma in Logistics and Transport
- Certificate in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Certificate in Public Relations
- Certificate In Marketing Management
- Certificate in Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Certificate in Customer Service Management
- Certificate in Entrepreneurship/Small Business Management
- Certificate in Microfinance Operations
- Certificate in Church Leadership & Management
- Certificate in NGO Management
2. Gender & Development Resource Centre (GDRC)
- Certificate in Gender Development
- Women In Management Middle Level
- Women In Management Senior Level
- Customized Programmes
3. Centre for IT Professional Development (CIPD)
Professional courses in Information Technology. Click here to view courses.
4. Public Sector Management Training Program (PSMTP)
The PSMTP is an intensive degree-training programme composed of five modules which comprise a combination of courses, spanning a period of 12-months, and culminating in a Master’s Degree in Public Sector Management.
GIMPA has four campuses located in Accra, Tema, Takoradi, and Kumasi. The addresses are as follows:
Accra Campus (Main)
Located at Greenhill, Accra.
Located at the Methodist Day Secondary School, Community 11, Adjacent Star Academy
Located at the Chapel Hill School, Takoradi, Western Region.
Located at Danyame, Adjacent the Ridge School.
Note: For general admission/entry requirements into The Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), visit www.gimpa.edu.gh/academics/admission/.